Re: RC1 MSI Installer

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Thomas Kellerer" <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RC1 MSI Installer
Date: 2004-12-11 18:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> The RC1 MSI installer has been released, and is available from the
>> pgFoundry page on http://pgfoundry.projects.postgresql.org.
>> It will also be available from the ftp mirrors shortly in /pub/win32.
>> Please use the ftp sites for download if possible, so
>pgFoundry doesn't
>> burn up..
>
>I just tried it and I have three comments, not sure if these
>are bugs, or
>if this is intended:
>
>1) when choosing not to install the service, the data
>directory will not be
>initialized even if it's option is selected. I gues the reason
>is, that
>without a running backend the installer cannot do the initdb,
>but without
>the service there is no way to start the backend?

Not quite, but almost. You don't need a running service to run initdb.
So we *could* do it. But right now the code only asks you for the
required username/password combinations when you install as a service.
And those are needed for initdb as well...

>2) I did not find UNICODE in the available encodings when
>initializing the data directory.

Correct. Unicode encoding is broken on Win32 and therefor not listed in
the installer options.

>3) I think it would be a good idea to offer an additional
>option to install
>a default database & user so that one can work with the system
>right after
>the installation has finished.

In most cases, you will have this - when you install as a service. The
non-service install is really only meant for people who are going to do
non-standard thigns with the server, in which case they probably want to
initdb themselves.

//Magnus