Re: Log messages of the server?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joerg Hessdoerfer" <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>,"PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log messages of the server?
Date: 2004-11-08 09:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Hi,
>
> just a quick question: I've installed test-drives of the
> PostgreSQL 8.0 beta installers (all versions, up to and
> including beta4), on win2k, XP Pro and XP home, they all
> worked fine starting the postmaster as service under user
> postgres. I just realized, though, that I had a problem
> upgrading one machine from beta2 to beta3, though. The
> service didn't start, because an initdb was required. But I
> didn't see any eventlog messages (that's where a windows user
> would look first, naturally). After more careful scrutiny, I
> did not find
> *ANY* server log messages. Where does the installer set
> logging to? Is logging to eventlog even implemented? How to
> configure it?

There has been a debate about where to log, and the end result was not
to default to eventlog. You can enable eventlogging by editing
postgresql.conf, look for the parameter "log_destination".
Log files by default go into the pg_log subdirectory of the data
directory.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Joerg HessdoerferDate: 2004-11-08 10:05:08
Previous:From: Joerg HessdoerferDate: 2004-11-08 09:23:38
Subject: Log messages of the server?