Re: minor issue in createdb 8.0.0beta4

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Silvio Scarpati" <silvio(dot)scarpati(at)customsolutions(dot)it>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: minor issue in createdb 8.0.0beta4
Date: 2004-11-01 11:24:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Hi !
>
> I discovered this particular feature in "createdb" tool
> 8.0.0beta4 running on Win32 Platform:

> c:\windows> createdb testdb;
> CREATE DATABASE

<snip>

> testdb;=# \l
>         List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
> -----------+----------+-----------
>  template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
>  template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
>  testdb;   | silvio   | SQL_ASCII
> (4 rows)
>
> testdb;=#
>
> -------------------- Cut And Paste ---------------------------
>
> As you can see, createddb doesn't skip the semicolon after
> the database's name, so you have a db name ending with
> semicolon. This is not a problem really, but this happens
> only in this version/platform.

I don't think this is a postgresql issue, really. It's a shell issue.

sh/bash or whatever you're running on a unix platform has ; as a command
separator. The win32 command prompt does not. (For example, run "echo
foo; echo bar" and notice the differences between bash and cmd). If you
run the command under a bash interpreter (or other shell that uses
semicolon as command separator) on win32, you will se the unix like
behaviour.

Not sure if we want to add a workaround for that? It'd be needed for
every single command, so I personally don't think it's a good idea.

//Magnus

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Silvio ScarpatiDate: 2004-11-01 13:34:11
Previous:From: EdgarsDate: 2004-11-01 09:42:07
Subject: postgres getting slow in the latest version