Re: initdb conf-files linebreaks

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb conf-files linebreaks
Date: 2004-10-24 15:16:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

>>Attached patch makes initdb generate the config files with windows
>>linebreaks when running on windows. This makes it a lot easier for the
>>user to edit the configuration files, since any win32 plaintext editor
>>can be used (such as notepad for example).
>>
>>If this is acceptable, and the method is ok, please apply for beta4 so
>>we can add some nice icons to the win32 installer :-)
>>

>Assuming this works, the far simpler change would (or should)
>be to open
>the file with "w" rather than PG_BINARY_W in all cases.

That does seem to work, yes. I thought there was some magic reason we
were using PG_BINARY_W and not "w".. Assuming there isn't, attached
patch is certainly cleaner.

>I don't know what Windows editors other than Notepad don't understand
>line feeds properly - Wordpad at least does, as well as every editor I
>actually use on Windows.

I've seen a couple, though I can't recall right now which they were.
Wordpad can play some nasty tricks on you with copy/paste, and
semi-formatted texts, though.
I don't use notepad much myself either, since there are plenty of good
editors out there. But notepad is the one that's going to be on *every*
windows system...

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb_win32newline2.patch application/octet-stream 796 bytes