Re: Installation on a 2000 DC

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <bpward(at)sasktel(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation on a 2000 DC
Date: 2004-08-24 19:14:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>I have been trying to install the last three MSI installers on
>my Windows 2000 server with no luck. It is a domain controller
>and therefore has no local accounts. I have created an account
>in active directory for the domain and taken away basically
>every right that I can think of (except run as service) and
>still it tells me the account has administrative privileges. I
>have also tried creating an account at the "Install as
>service" prompt in the installer, I type in
>domainname\postgres for the username and it creates the user.
>It then tells me that it could not read the local powerusers group.

This is probably because there is no Power Users group on a domain
controller. Oops :-)
But does it continue at this point?

Using the domain\username syntax is correct syntax for domain accounts.

As for the administrative user check - it does not check any rights. It
checks only group memberships. Verify that the account is not a member
of any admin groups, or any other groups that are nested into the admin
groups.

>I cannot automatically initialize the database cluster either.
>When it gets to this step it tells me that it could not create
>the process ID (I take it that the account has too many privileges).

It should also give you an error code, which should tell us what the
reason is...

>Usually at the end of the install(if I don't choose to
>initialize the database cluster) it keeps telling me that it
>couldn't start the service. I have found a way to make it
>happy by placing the data folder from a previous build into
>the new build's program folder.

Yeha, that can happen when the initdb step fails.

>When I try to start the service from within the service
>control panel, it tells me that the program did not start and
>nor did it return any kind of an error code. Then, as I try to
>run postmaster from within a command console running as the
>newly created user it tells me that I am trying to run the
>database with administrative privileges and exits.

This sounds again like your user is in some way a member of an
administrators gorup (administrators, power users or domain admins). Or
a group that is in turn a member of those groups.

>Everything seems to run fine and dandy on another 2000 server
>that I have, the only difference is that it's not a domain
>controller (so it has local accounts) and upon installation
>quite easily created a new user and initialized a new database
>cluster for me. This server inherits domain privileges from
>the previously mentioned domain controller.

The installer has not been tested on a domain controller, so I'm not all
that surprised you're finding issues with it. In general I'd follow
Microsofts recommendation of not putting any software on a domain
controller other than the AD system. But there are of course reasons
when that is not possible, so we'll try to get it working in that
situation. but it's still recommended not to do it.

//Magnus