Re: BUG #1256: Account problems-start as a service option install Windows 2000/ XP

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Modick" <modick(at)sprynet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1256: Account problems-start as a service option install Windows 2000/ XP
Date: 2004-09-17 11:26:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Operating system: Windows 2000 SP3

> option install
> Windows 2000/ XP
>
> Details:
>
> Problems with installer (for Version 8.0 Beta 2 dev 3) when
> you check the 'Install as a service' checkbox.
>
> Installer cheerfully creates the postgres account and grants
> the 'Log on as a service' right, but does not add the account
> to 'Users' group and does not grant permission to 'Access
> this computer from the network' or 'Log on
> locally'. These omissions cause three failure points during
> the install.

It should add it to the users group.
Question: Is this by any chance a Domain Controller?

> To fix this, go to Admin tools -- 'Local Security Policies'
> and grant the right to 'Access this computer from the
> network' to the postgres account.

"Users" normally have this, I think.

> Third problem will be with initdb, much later in the install.
> Error message will be: "Failed to create process for initdb:
> 1385!". Install will then roll back.
>
> To fix this, go to 'Local Security Polices' (again) and
> grant the right to 'Log on Locally' to the postgres account.

Again, I beleive "Users" normally have this.

> I listed all 3 error messages in series, to make for easy
> Google search.
> Machine here is configured 'paranoia' style -- deny all
> permissions to all
> unless needed. This probably differs from a plain vanilla
> Windows setup.

Right. If you have changed the default permissions, you will of course
need to fix that. Can't expect the installer to know about them all. We
can help a bit, though :-)

> Installer should be changed to check/grant the two other
> needed permissions, and should also add postgres user to
> 'Users' group when creating the postgres account to run as a
> service.

As for the first two, yes, at least chceking for them is good. I'll add
that to a tracker.
As for "Users", this should be done by default. It must be something
environment-specific.

//Magnus