Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <oleg(at)ourmx(dot)com>,"PgSQL Win32 developers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2
Date: 2004-08-27 09:21:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?
> I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI
> script which is a migration tool from old MySQL database
> format to a new PgSQL database. So here is a quick summary of
> the situation.
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full
> speed, the script finishes its work in 20 minutes.
> Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just
> a bit slower (like 25 minutes)
> In  both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD
> activity, etc. - two databases raping poor windows XP workstation.

Are both MySQL and PgSQL Win32 on the same machine, or two different

> Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The
> process can take  hours  to  complete.  Actually,  I  never
> had a patience to see it finished  -  last  time  I aborted
> the process after 2 hours and the damn thing  just finished
> about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux without
> changing  anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
> SP2  and  checked  again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25
> minutes for task  completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the
> problem came back. So  for me it's quite obvious that SP2 has
> screwed up PgSQL  in  some  way.  I've tried several web
> forums, IRC - so far nobody seems  to  get  into  the same
> situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid
> enough to try SP2 :)

Is the machine still pegged at 100% CPU, or is the CPU idle? What about
the I/O?

> Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a
> migration script - it takes data from one database, changes
> it slightly and puts it to another one, using simple inserts.
> Nothing special. Although pg_restore seems to work just fine
> even under SP2, no performance problems.

Does your script run with just one connection, or does it open new
connections often?

> There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It
> experiences the same performance hit, no difference at all.

> Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM,
> 200GB SATA Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy
> and data execution prevention - again, nothing has changed.
> I'm out of ideas...

With disable firewall I assume you mean disable completely, and not just
set "postgres can do whatevever it wants"? If not, disable it completely

Are you running any antivirus on the machine? If so, try uninstalling
that too. I've seen AV products behave pretty differently on SP1 and

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Maurizio MerliDate: 2004-08-27 09:42:59