Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <oleg(at)ourmx(dot)com>, "PgSQL Win32 developers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2
Date: 2004-08-27 09:21:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?
>
> I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI
> script which is a migration tool from old MySQL database
> format to a new PgSQL database. So here is a quick summary of
> the situation.
>
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full
> speed, the script finishes its work in 20 minutes.
>
> Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.
>
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just
> a bit slower (like 25 minutes)
>
> In both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD
> activity, etc. - two databases raping poor windows XP workstation.

Are both MySQL and PgSQL Win32 on the same machine, or two different
machines?

> Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The
> process can take hours to complete. Actually, I never
> had a patience to see it finished - last time I aborted
> the process after 2 hours and the damn thing just finished
> about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux without
> changing anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
> SP2 and checked again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25
> minutes for task completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the
> problem came back. So for me it's quite obvious that SP2 has
> screwed up PgSQL in some way. I've tried several web
> forums, IRC - so far nobody seems to get into the same
> situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid
> enough to try SP2 :)

Is the machine still pegged at 100% CPU, or is the CPU idle? What about
the I/O?

> Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a
> migration script - it takes data from one database, changes
> it slightly and puts it to another one, using simple inserts.
> Nothing special. Although pg_restore seems to work just fine
> even under SP2, no performance problems.

Does your script run with just one connection, or does it open new
connections often?

> There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It
> experiences the same performance hit, no difference at all.

Interesting.

> Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM,
> 200GB SATA Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy
> and data execution prevention - again, nothing has changed.
> I'm out of ideas...

With disable firewall I assume you mean disable completely, and not just
set "postgres can do whatevever it wants"? If not, disable it completely
:-)

Are you running any antivirus on the machine? If so, try uninstalling
that too. I've seen AV products behave pretty differently on SP1 and
SP2...

//Magnus