Re: Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Mario Ivankovits" <imario(at)apache(dot)org>,"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)
Date: 2004-08-20 11:03:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> 	Dave Page schrieb:
>

> 		<>I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for
the next release.
> 		It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts
session' message
> 		though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the
first installation
> 		I've seen that won't run in a ts session.
> 		</>
>
> 	I dont know what the state of the "timzone detection problem" in
the current postgresql 8.0 head will be, but > if it isnt fixed for the
next beta it might greatly help others if you could add a warning to the
installer if
> the automatic timezone detection failed.

> 	It cost me a couple of hours to figure out that neither
hibernate nor I have done something wrong when i
> tried to update a record with a timestamp in its key.
> 	I know, these "couple of hours" stands in no relation to what
you guys spent to develop and support such a
> _great_ database. However a short:
> 	"Automatic timezone detection failed. Please edit your
postgresql.conf (timezone=) manually to reflect your
>  timezone. This will be fixed in the release version of PostgreSQL
8.0" ;-)
> 	would be nice.

I plan to get at least one try through on fixing this in the backend
before next beta. (We are talking about the misbehaviour on locallized
windows installations, I assume?)

Oh, and it *does* log a warning about not finding the timezone. It's
just that the beta installed by the MSI installer doesn't direct this to
the eventlog :-)

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-08-20 11:03:56
Subject: Re: InitDB Failure on install