Re: win32 version info

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 version info
Date: 2004-07-29 14:55:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
> >Oh, and for the record, we version libpq.dll on windows in the 7.x.y
> >manner, and have been doing so ever since we first added
> win32 support.
> >We can't really back that one down, so we'd need an
> exception for that
> >one.
> >

> This one *does* matter, because it's the main library other
> software depends on. We might have to find some workaround
> for people who have installed dev versions, but we haven't
> made an official release yet, so those people are using it on
> a caveat emptor basis. I really think we need to get this
> right, and to do so from the start.

The people who have installed the dev snapshot should expect these
things to happen :-) I don't particularly care about those. I do care
about the people who have installed previous versions. The client
library have been available for a long time with this version numbering
scheme.

My vote is for sticking witht he 7.5.x etc version numbering for the
win32 binaries. I think it's easiest, and that's what win32 programs
generally do. And we can then continue the practice of not bumping
version numbers of the unix shared libs until such a time we might want
to change that behaviour (it might not even be necessary ever..).

//Magnus

pgsql-patches by date

Subject: Re: Traditional Chinese libpq-zh_TW.po for 7.5