Re: Cancel/Kill backend functions

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cancel/Kill backend functions
Date: 2004-05-23 20:30:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
>> The other thought is that you're not going to have much use
>of this if
>> you don't have pgstat anyway - how are you going to find out which
>> backends actually exist?
>
>Uh, what about ps(1)?

Well, if you ran run ps(1), then you can probably run kill(1) too. The
main point of this patch was to be able to do it remotely. Now that I
think of it, there are probably a bunch of times when you can see the
process information with ps but can't kill(1) it.

With this point and others, I will update the patch to use the other
method to determine if a PID is actualy a backend.

//Magnus

pgsql-patches by date