Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to
Date: 2004-05-13 12:02:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> >1) I would not suggest copying the LIB directory to the windows
> >directory. That is just evil :-) Instead, add the pg lib
> directory to
> >the system PATH.
> >

> I agree that putting stuff in the Windows directory is evil.
>
> Having to use 2 path elements is a bit ugly too, though. My
> solution has been to move libpq.dll to the bin directory,
> which makes it work just fine for me without any PATH
> adjustment. It should actually load binaries slightly faster,
> too, since the binary location is the very first place
> Windows looks for DLLs, as I understand it.

That depends on your Windows version.
In XP with Service Pack 1 and later, and in Server 2003, it searches:
1) System locations
2) Current directory
3) User defined PATHs

Before, it was:
1) Current directory
2) System locations
3) User defined PATHs

These newer versions also added SetDllDirectory() - maybe this one will
help us in some ways?

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Subject: Re: Runtime Problems