Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...
Date: 2004-04-30 07:48:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> > It doesn't even compile on my platform.
>
> Then we have some work to do ... but that work won't get done
> if the code is disabled by default.
>
> Or did we pick an upstream library so bad that it should be
> *expected* to fail to compile everywhere? If that's true
> then I can't trust it to work on Win32 either, and we should
> be looking for another one.

[not sure if I can post to the -committers list, but since the therad is
there, giving it a try. Otherwise, the usual suspects will at least get
it in direct mail]

Certainly not, it compiles on a whole lot of platforms. I don't know if
does all the platforms postgres supports today, but it certainly does
most of them. It just requires a bunch of defines set in the Makefile.
This has to be done manually in the distribution. I'm sure this can
somehow be integrated with autoconf (some file mapping "our defines" to
"the librarys defines").

The defines are fairly well outlined in the makefile of the originaly
library (see link in readme file - I don't have it aroudn on this
machine, sorry), IIRC. Someone who knows more about exactly which of
these could/should be mapped how on the other platforms can probably say
something about how much work that integration would be.

I did the win32 part only, mainly because:
1) Win32 needed it badly. Since the current tz code was badly broken
there.

2) I'm not comfortable enough with hacking the autoconfified code myself
(yet), so I hoped someone else would do it. Bruce promised to pick up
the parts required to get it running on win32.

3) I was under the (apparantly incorrect?) impression that we wanted
this one up on win32 *now*, and then wanted to add it on other platforms
later.

//Magnus