Re: psql compiled with msys

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql compiled with msys
Date: 2004-04-16 15:16:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> > Hmm. This sounds exactly like the problem Dann (IIRC) had a
> couple of
> > days back.> Anybody know of a way to make mingw produce MS
> compatible
> > DLLs?
>
> Strictly speaking, all DLLs are MS compatible...barring the
> usual annoying sundry issues like underscores, calling
> convention, etc.  I ran the msys compiled DLL through
> Borland's impdef utility (generates an export list) and got
> more or less the same results.
>
> I then used implib to generate a library file for the dll for
> static linking.  This also worked, but I got a warning
> (probably unrelated, but still interesting):
>
> C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\lib>"c:\Program
> Files\Borland\CBuilder5\Bin\implib" libpq.lib libpq.dll
>
> Borland Implib Version 3.0.22 Copyright (c) 1991, 2000
> Inprise Corporation Warning duplicate symbol: pqFlush
>
> So, I think Dann's problem more likely a versioning
> problem...i.e. trying to use 7.4.1 libpq from 7.5b psql.  Of
> course, this is just asking for a crash.  Unless the calling
> convention is different (and it doesn't appear to be) I think
> the dlls are in fact compatible.  Worst case scenario: the
> compiler flags on the msvc side have to be adjusted. There
> might be more to it though.

Have there been any such incompatible interfaces changes in libpq?

If not, could it be a case of "matching import libraries"? E.g. if you
use the MS import library with the ming DLL, it won't work, and the
other way around. but if you use a ming library with a ming DLL, you can
use it with a MS app? (Ok, I have no idea if this applies, just throwing
out ideas)

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: weiping heDate: 2004-04-16 15:31:16