Re: performance error

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <Tom(dot)Zschockelt(at)flender(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance error
Date: 2004-03-31 11:47:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi!

First of all, anything that is insert-only is certainly to be I/O bound,
and not CPU bound, so it really doesn't surprise me that much. Also, you
will normally get drastically better performance if you wrap the INSERT
statements in a transaction.

Finally, remember that the win32 port is very much under development.
There are certainly several points where it can be perfromance
optimised, but we're not quite there yet.

An interesting thing might also be a comparison between this and a
straight libpq program. I have no idea what the overheard of the ODBC
driver is. I doubt it's something you'd noticei n this scenario, but
it's not totally impossible.

//Magnus