Re: APC/socket fix (final?)

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Claudio Natoli" <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>,<pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: APC/socket fix (final?)
Date: 2004-03-26 23:16:02
Lists: pgsql-patches

>>> It's possibly workable in the limited context of the postmaster, but
>>> I've got doubts about doing it in libpq where we can't
>assume we know
>>> what the surrounding application will do.
>
>> No need to touch the frontend parts at all. Our APCs are server side
>> only, so it's not a problem there.
>
>Oh really?  What if the surrounding app uses APCs?

Then I'd say it's that apps problem. And it's clearly nothing new - the
problem has existed before. We'd certainly want to document it, though.

I don't think it's a good idea in general to redefine something as
fundamental as select, send, recv etc from libpq-fe.h (or files included
from there). That will affect any and all socket calls in the program in
question, including those that aren't in use in libpq. If we want to
affect those, we need to find a way to do it without exposing it to the
client apps.

//Magnus

pgsql-patches by date

Previous:From: Claudio NatoliDate: 2004-03-26 23:12:12