Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,"PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces
Date: 2004-03-05 11:57:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> I would be quite happy if we built a check into initdb to refuse to
> create a location on FAT.

Me too, definitly.

> I don't know how gtar handles "junctions". Nor any of the zip utils.
> Does anyone else?

Don't know. But I don't know of *any* win32 admin that would use tar for
his backups.. There is the builtin backup tool, which handles junctions
fine. There is also a multitude of 3rd party tools (which is what you
normally use in a larger installation, since the builtin tool doesn't
backup over the network very well). AFAIK, they all use the backup API,
so they should work with it.

If it *doesn't* supprot it, it should still backup correctly. And
recover should probably work as well as long as you add the junction
manually first - since it shows up as just a directory to anyone who
doesn't know how to handle it.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date