Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)
Date: 2004-02-12 19:02:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
>> >What additional things to we need to deal with if we go the
>> >direction of
>> >having the environment variables set from the registry and
>read-only in
>> >the process?
>>
>> I still beleive this way of doing things will be the best.
>If you want
>> it in the system environment, you can use that. If you put it in the
>> registry (service specific, for example), that will override those
>> settings and be used instead.
>
>I was thinking we can allow the environment to override the registry to
>allow multiple postmasters.

But that will give you issues if you want multiple postmasters running
as services (different services, of course). Since you can't store the
environment variables in the system environment (because they would be
shared). The registry, however, is arranged with per-service areas to
store it in.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date