Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary
Date: 2004-02-12 18:41:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> > Store settings in the registry and set environment variables in
>> > the process
>> >
>> >What additional things to we need to deal with if we go the
>direction of
>> >having the environment variables set from the registry and
>read-only in
>> >the process?
>> >

>> I'm not clear *which* settings it is proposed to set in the
>registry,
>> nor how possible it will be to override the settings, and with which
>> mechanism.
>
>I assumed all environment variables would be exported to the process.
>The problem is allowing environment variables to override registry
>settings.
>
>One idea would be to do both --- if an environment variable isn't set,
>get the value from the registry and set the envronment
>variable. If the
>environment variable is set, use that instead of the registry --- that
>might be the best of both worlds.

Or go all the way - have the registry override system env variables, and
user env variables override the registry.

IMHO, if you want multiple instances running as services, you will want
to store the instance specific stuff *in the registry*.
If you run them from commandlines, then you will want it in the user
environment or on the commandline.

//Magnus