Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Steve Tibbett" <stibbett(at)zim(dot)biz>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers-win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-14 21:57:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> A "Native" Windows application is one that integrates well
> with the rest of the OS.. meaning it logs to the event log,
> runs as a service, supports performance monitor counters,
> responds to system shutdown and power management events,
> etc.. trying to support this stuff while running in Interix
> might well be impossible (you can't make Win32 calls from
> outside the Win32 subsystem can you?)

Hmm. Those are very good points :-)
Phase one is just get up and running, but yes, in the future we'd want
to support many of those. At least be possible to do so.

Does anybody know if a SFU program runs "isolated" under Interix or if
it can run in "both subsystems"? Or does SFU perhaps map services like
syslog over to eventlog etc? (Haven't used SFU for those things before,
just for NFS)

//mha