Re: running as a service?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers-win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: running as a service?
Date: 2004-05-15 12:46:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
>> What are the current plans regarding running PG as a
>service? A wrapper,
>> or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the
>core, or done as
>> something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?
>
>IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
>cleaner?

IF it should go to pgfoundry in that case, I'd say it *has* to be
integrated :-)

*Everybody* on win32 will expect this. No matter if they download source
or binaries or MSI installer. If we don't provide it in the main
install, people will see that as a major feature lacking that has to be
fixed by an external package.

As for which - the current code (submitted by Claudio) does an "extra
fork/exec" on the postmaster, basically making the postmaster a wrapper
for itself (correct me if I remember incorrectly here Claudio - seems
the archives.postgresql.org server is down ATM, and I can't find the
patch locally). If so, I think it would actualliy be slightly cleaner to
have it in a separate binary (that still does all the signal translation
we need, of course).
But as I think I've said before, I think the two ways are fairly equal
overall. But it *has* to go in the main distro.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Previous:From: Claudio NatoliDate: 2004-05-15 10:26:45