Re: win32 binaries

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "Thomas Swan" <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 binaries
Date: 2004-04-23 14:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > I was going to try and work on this very issue during the
> weekend. I
> > have some friends that want to use Postgresql, but do not
> have a Unix
> > box available, especially at their workplace. I've been
> writing some
> > batch files and some install instructions to handle the
> basics. Would
> > you have any objections to using something like the nullsoft
> installer.
>
> I think Magnus is working on an installation that is complete
> or nearly complete.

Yes. I have it installing files and service (the service won't actually
work, since the code is not in the postmaster yet), but it's not
handling initdb yet (planned). There is some layout work that needs to
be done as well (GUI-wise). So it's not ready to be put up just yet. But
I'm on it.

> I think he means to use the .msi
> installer, not sure though.

Yes, it uses Windows Installer (MSI). I persoanlly think this is a big
point. As a Windows admin, I prefer a MSI based installation (if it's
done the way it's supposed to be done, and not just a MSI wrapper around
a DLL with an old-style installer) over nullsoft or similar packages. It
provides a standard way for unattended installations, uninstallation
etc.

> I believe this was debated and
> decided some weeks back. There are some still unaddressed
> issues like service management, interaction with the event
> viewer, etc.

I beleive event logging is already done. Service management is not.

> Until these are done it may be better to hold
> off on the installation package. My suggestion is to get
> with Magnus if you want to get that ball rolling.

I think just putting up a ZIP with the files would be great for now.
Then you just unzip it in c:\pgsql or wherever you want it, and you can
run the postmaster from a command prompt window.

As for doing work on the installer, sure, I won't mind help :-) I just
need to finish off the main framework, then can put it up somewhere.

Which brings up another point - where would the source files go? Where
are specs etc for RPMs held? Not in the main cvs from what I can see, at
least. gborg?

> wrt the location, my idea was a (ftp?) download link on the
> win32 status page, plus a news item on the front page. Being
> on the status page will reflect the 'in development' nature
> of the port.

That sounds good to me. If it's not appropriate for the main ftp site
(I'll let someone else decide on that), I can provide some webspace for
it at a fairly fast connection.

If this can be automated, even better. And it shouldn't be that hard. A
script that does configure with fixed parameters, make, make install in
a freshly downloaded environment (I wouldn't want to mess with
incremental compiles etc), and then just ZIP up the entire installed
directory, and ftp that off to somewhere.

//Magnus