Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>,"Paul Tuckfield" <paul(at)tuckfield(dot)com>,"Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Dirk Lutzeb├Ąck <lutzeb(at)aeccom(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1
Date: 2004-04-22 21:21:33
Lists: pgsql-performance
>> Having to recompile to run on single- vs dual-processor
>machines doesn't
>> seem like it would fly.
>
>Oh, I don't know.  Many applications require compiling for a target
>architecture; SQL Server, for example, won't use a 2nd
>processor without
>re-installation.   I'm not sure about Oracle.

Uh, that is not quite true - at leasdt not for current versions. SQL Server will pick up and use whatever processors the underlying OS supports. Now, depending on how you install the OS (Windows, that is) you may have ended up with a kernel and HAL that does not support multiprocessor. In this case, you have to change HAL. But you certainly don't have to reinstalsl SQL Server or Windows. Just a reboot (pretty normal when you add a CPU...)

Now, there can be licensing issues if you are in per-processor licensing, but that's a completely different issue. Also, the "Standard Edition" only uses up to 4 CPUs, but again, that's a different issue.

//Magnus

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Rod TaylorDate: 2004-04-22 21:22:11
Subject: Re: Setting Shared Buffers , Effective Cache, Sort Mem