Locale on win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Locale on win32
Date: 2004-04-09 18:07:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hi!

There appears to still be locale issues on win32. I'm unfortunatly not
very well up to speed on how the locale things work, so I'm posting here
for comments.

State: pgsql-snapshot running on native win32.
Database is initialised with: initdb -D d:\pgdata --locale=eng_US

pg_controldata reports:
LC_COLLATE: English_United States.1252
LC_CTYPE: English_United States.1252

Now for the issue. When I have my "regional options" set to english (not
my normal case), I have:
template1=# select 'vy' union select 'wa' order by 1;
?column?
----------
vy
wa
(2 rows)

Then I change my regional options to Swedish (normal) and restart the
postmaster:
template1=# select 'vy' union select 'wa' order by 1;
?column?
----------
wa
vy
(2 rows)

I was under the impression that the locale set in the database would
override this? Otherwise, what's it for :-)

(The weird-sorting is because that in swedish locale, w and v are
treated as equal, and thus it ends up sorting on the second character).

This also shows up as a regression test on the "select" test, and this
is how I caught it.

//Magnus