Re: Tons of postgres.exe processes

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Stan Vassilev" <sv_forums(at)fmethod(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tons of postgres.exe processes
Date: 2005-07-01 22:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Hi, so I installed native 8.03 on my XP SP2 box - just for
> testing, I need only support for about 3-4 simult. connections.
> However I installed it and open the Task manager - and see at
> least a hundred instances of postgres.exe process in there...
> And I can't find a way to remedy this. I have no running
> connections so technically it's redundant to have that amount
> of processes.

That's certainly not supposed to happen.

What kind of application are you using? Are you 100% sure that it
actually closes the connections as it should? The situation sounds a bit
like a runaway connection pooling or such thing...

If you run a "SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity" query, does it show up all
the processes as active backends?

> Also I started experiening apps failing to start, show menus
> or init other controls properly when running postgres.
> Otherwise I could connect with the GUI admin and make a db
> and a table in it...

That would be the classic symptoms of a windows system running out of

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Stan VassilevDate: 2005-07-02 09:09:03
Previous:From: Stan VassilevDate: 2005-07-01 22:23:46
Subject: Tons of postgres.exe processes