Suggestion on reorganizing functions

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Suggestion on reorganizing functions
Date: 2004-08-09 17:20:33
Lists: pgsql-docs
After some discussion on IRC about improvments that could be made to
the documentation I have a suggestion.  Note: I don't have much time to
work on it and I'm not an sgml-wiz.

(Note: Using .html names of things as I don't know what sgml makes what)

The basic idea is to make the equivalent of sql-commands.html (A flat
list of all SQL commands) but for functions.   Usually when I need to
go find functions it involves google.   The flat list would allow a Joe
User to come along and scroll down to find out what FOOBAR() is instead
of going to functions.html and trying to decide what type of function
FOOBAR is.

The organization by category is useful (ie getting all date manip
functions) but the flat list would also be quite useful - especially if
you are a newcomer to PG and are trying to dissect some code.

One idea to solve it would to have the flat list link to
functions-foo.html#FOOBAR  - this would allow both methods of
organization and only having function definitions in one spot.

Perhaps there is some other spiffy sgml way of defining the type of
function FOOBAR() is inside the sgml?  We could have it scan all the
little sgml files for functions (ala ref/ files)  and automatically
make function-TYPE.html files?

any thoughts?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>