Re: [JDBC] How to notify JBoss J2EE application in a trigger or rule???

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] How to notify JBoss J2EE application in a trigger or rule???
Date: 2006-06-22 11:41:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

On 22-Jun-06, at 7:25 AM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 07:17 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Did you try the pl/java list ?
> Yes, I did. Hence the "yet unknow to me." I am also looking at the
> source, but I am fairly convinced that I am bitten by the "zlib" bug,
> which results in a lot of work to get it working. Besides the work, it
> will also lead to "non apt-get installable" software which I do do not
> fancy in terms of support....
>
>> Also there is pl/j which is much better designed for this.
> OK, I will look into that. Could you hint as to why it is much better
> designed?

pl/java uses JNI, and a JVM per connection, which also means that the
JVM must run on the same machine as the server, both of these are
showstoppers for me. On the other hand it is simple.

pl-j uses an RPC mechanism to call the function remotely. This means
that the JVM can be anywhere, and you don't need a 1-1 mapping of
connections to JVM's

I will warn you that it may be broken at the moment, but I'm fairly
sure that Laszlo could be coerced into fixing it.

Dave