selecting problems

From: "Shaun Watts" <SWatts(at)computer-systems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: selecting problems
Date: 2003-10-31 19:19:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

What I am trying to do is select all the rows out of the categories
table (see below) and select the sum of j_amount out of the judgment
table. Right now it is only returning the categories that are in the
judgment table. I want it to return those fields with the amounts out
of the judgment table, but also the all the other categories from the
categories table with 0 as there amount. Does anyone have a
suggestion.

select ca_code,ca_desc,sum(j_amount) as sum_amt,ca_dis_cycle
from categories LEFT OUTER JOIN judgment ON
(j_category=ca_code)
where j_case_no='45698'
and j_party_no=1
group by ca_code,ca_desc,ca_dis_cycle

Thanks,
Shaun
Shaun, <mailto:swatts(at)computer-systems(dot)com>
Phone 1-317-913-4160 Fax 1-317-913-4175
CSI - Computer Systems, Inc. <http://www.computer-systems.com/>
"Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we
must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price."
Vince Lombardi