Re: Putting files into fields in a table

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Putting files into fields in a table
Date: 2007-12-13 20:22:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Campbell, Lance wrote:

> I did not see much info in the 8.2 documentation on BLOB. I did ready
> about "bytea" or binary data type. It seems like it would work for
> storing files. I guess I could stick with the OS for file storage but
> it is a pain. It would be easier to use the DB.

In postgres they're simply called Large Objects (or LOBs) and there
is a whole chapter devoted to them in Part IV of the manual. Note
that you only need to use this facility if you're going to be storing
data over 1G in size (at which point your limit becomes 2G). What
kind of data are in these files? What gain do you foresee in storing
the files directly in the db (as opposed, say, to storing the paths
to the files in the filesystem)?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com