Re: Free-space-map management thoughts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free-space-map management thoughts
Date: 2003-02-26 22:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FSM is only populated by vacuum, so there
> is no FSM information for any given table / database until it's vacuumed, in
> a long running production enviornment this may not be that important, but it
> could result in a large increase in file size any time the database is
> restarted.

Right.  The original assumption was that people don't restart production
servers, so startup-transient behavior isn't very important.  But that's
obviously not a great assumption.  It seemed expedient at the time
(partly because I wasn't sure FSM would fly at all) --- but now it's
time to go back and fill in the holes.