Re: Runaway Instances of Postmaster

From: "Michael Swierczek" <mike(dot)swierczek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ccannick <ccannick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runaway Instances of Postmaster
Date: 2007-03-09 01:03:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 5 Mar 2007 08:50:49 -0800, ccannick <ccannick(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm running v8.0 on Linux and am seeing the following phenomenon:
>
> With each connection, I get more and more postmasters running that
> never complete, die, or timeout. Eventually all of my memory is
> depleted and the system is severely hampered.

I could be wrong, but I believe you need exclusive access to the
database in order to perform a full vacuum. If someone was
attempting a full vacuum while other connections to the database were
active, that might explain your problem.

I'm guessing that's unlikely, but I thought I would mention the possibility.

-Mike