Re: Parsed Query Trees

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Neufeld <kneufeld(at)refractions(dot)net>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parsed Query Trees
Date: 2007-11-06 03:25:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
> Kevin Neufeld wrote:
>> Does anyone know if a parsed query tree object is exposed in the jdbc
>> API? I couldn't find any such thing, nor could I find it in the
>> developers roadmap.

> No, and the reason is that the JDBC driver doesn't actually parse the
> query beyond some basic manipulations to find parameter placeholders and
> so on. All the real parsing happens on the server side, and I don't know
> of a way to get access to the server's query tree as a client. (It's
> debatable how useful that would be, anyway)

I'd very strongly resist exposing the server's parsetrees to clients,
because then changing them would represent a protocol break, and we
change them constantly.

If you're desperate to have an editing facility like this, put it into
server-side code ... and expect to revise it at every major release.