Re: Database Server Tuning

From: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
To: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Server Tuning
Date: 2004-06-10 16:51:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Jun 10, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Anjan Dave wrote:

> Vivek,
>
> Was there anything specific that helped you decide on a RAID-5 and not
> a RAID-10?

performance testing on restore times.  My DB is more than 50% write, so
I needed to optimize for writes.

> I have my DBs on RAID10, and would soon be moving them on FC drives,
> and i am considering RAID-10.

If I had to do it over again, I'd most likely go with RAID-50, and take
the hit on restore time for the advantage on reads.  I have to dig
through my records again to see the details... but then I have to do
all that for my OSCON presentation on this topic at the end of July in
Portland, OR. ;-)