Re: Please advise features in 7.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "john huttley" <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please advise features in 7.1
Date: 2000-11-23 15:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"john huttley" <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
>> We've had parameterized triggers for years.  Maybe you attach some
>> meaning to that term beyond what I do?

> I'm referring to the manual that says functions used for triggers must
> have no parameters and return a type Opaque.

The function has to be declared that way, but you can actually pass a
set of string parameters to it from the CREATE TRIGGER command.  The
strings show up in some special variable or other inside the function.
(No, I don't know why it was done in that ugly way...)  See the manual's
discussion of trigger programming.