Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-17 06:15:35
Lists: pgsql-www
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I'm thinking of adding one to DNS, but after reading up on it, I'm a bit
> concerned how this might affect some ...

I'd recommend it.  I've had one on sss.pgh.pa.us for a year or two now
and have seen no serious ill effects.  I don't currently use SPF for
incoming filtering either, but it makes a good basis for disavowing
forgeries-in-my-name, of which there are all too many :-(

> Since those having @postgresql.org accounts shoudl be limited to these two
> lists, can anyone comment on a) is this a bad idea? and b) would they be
> affected because they don't use SMTP AUTH and c) why aren't you using SMTP
> AUTH? ...

Hmm.  What it would mean is that anyone sending mail with a
"From: soandso(at)postgresql(dot)org" line would have to be sure it went out
through the postgresql.org servers, else it might get bounced.  The
question is, would anyone who has a legitimate claim to such a From:
address be inconvenienced to the point of vetoing this?  If so why?

+1 on the idea, but am willing to listen to objections...