Re: PostgreSQL clustering with DRBD

From: Serge Fonville <serge(dot)fonville(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering with DRBD
Date: 2009-02-11 11:52:10
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply

>  Since the cluster will be multi-master/dual-primary, do I need to have a
>> separate block device for each PostgreSQL instance or can it use the DRBD
>> device?
>>

> I don't understand how you want to have a multimaster PostgreSQL setup with
> DRBD.  DRBD can only be used for an inactive standby.

So, DRBD dual primary and Cybercluster multimaster, cannot be combined?

>  I believe cybercluster is the most active and complete PostgreSQL
>> clustering solution.
>> My endgoal is a two node cluster with load sharing and fail over where
>> both nodes can perform reads and writes.
>>

> That's not going to happen very easily, if at all.

Why not?Cybercluster is a multimaster clustering solution for PostgreSQL
DRBD supports dual primary
>From the feature list:

> Dual primary support for use with GFS/OCFS2

Perhaps it can be done without DRBD then?

In many cases asynchronous replication is just not enough to model a certain
> business case.

Therefore Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH offers a synchronous multimaster
> replication solution for PostgreSQL called Cybercluster.

Thanks,

Serge Fonville