Re: Building with Visual C++

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Building with Visual C++
Date: 2006-04-24 21:46:26
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>>> We'll need a VC buildfarm member in place to catch us anytime we
>>> change the Makefiles in a way that the script doesn't understand.
>>
>> Not a problem - Snake has VC++ 6, 2003 and 2005 installed.

> Y'know I say that, but thinking about it I imagine the buildfarm is tied
> well and truly into the GNU build system - running configure, make,
> regression tests etc. We'd need to talk Andrew into modifying the code
> to handle the different build procedure, and figure out how to run the
> regression tests (prolly still need mingw for that - though possibly
> SFU/Interix would work).

Yeah, I had just started to wonder about that when your mail arrived.
It'll need to happen if we want to say that "VC is supported" with a
straight face, but I can easily imagine that it'll require nontrivial
work.

I don't mind though if running the regression tests requires mingw;
that's not an essential step unless you're a developer.