Re: reindexdb command utlility

From: Henrik Zagerholm <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb command utlility
Date: 2006-05-31 06:43:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs
31 maj 2006 kl. 03:47 skrev Euler Taveira de Oliveira:

>> I used wanted to point out the the ( -q, --quiet ) parameter for
>> reindexdb command utility does not work.
> Actually it is *not* a bug. The NOTICE is printed by the REINDEX
> command; reindexdb is just a wrapper around REINDEX command. If you
> set up 'client_min_messages' in postgresql.conf, you don't get those
> 'annoying' messages.
I'll take a look at that. I have to make sure that I don't need it
somewhere else first. :-)

>> Also reindexdb writes NOTICE to standard err for every table it
>> reindexes which makes it really hard to use in script as it always
>> produces an "errror".  :-)
>>
> You can always ignore NOTICE. grep is your friend. :-)
True, but usually I like to have my ERROR messages to stderr and INFO
to stdout.

> Looking at the code, IMHO we could raise the ereport from NOTICE to
> INFO (see the patch attached). None of the scripts actually raise
> NOTICEs if it succeeds.
>
> Comments?
INFO sounds like a good idea. What do you think about sending INFO to
stdout instead of stderr? (As it seems that ereport() automagically
sends the message to stderr)

Cheers,
Henrik