Vacuuming

From: Philip Edelbrock <phil(at)studiogeologie(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Vacuuming
Date: 2012-02-23 00:08:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
We're having a problem with database maintenance.  If we do a full vacuum, it takes down the app until it completes (which is a bit to be expected as a full vacuum locked the app out of the database).  However, if we don't do a periodic full vacuum, our drive gets filled up.

The question is, is there a way to keep availability of the app 100% yet keep the database maintained without the drive filling up?  Or is it just the nature of the beast that a full vacuum needs to be done periodically?

BTW- This is PostgreSQL 8.1.23 as part of RHEL 5.6.

Thanks, any tips on good practices for cron scripts doing Postgres maintenance would be great!

Phil

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Rick DicaireDate: 2012-02-23 00:20:41