Re: Single User mode

From: Gourish Singbal <gourish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Theo Galanakis <Theo(dot)Galanakis(at)lonelyplanet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single User mode
Date: 2004-12-27 06:08:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Theo,

kill -9 [#postgres-pid#]? might be harmful to your database use one of
the below comands to shutsdown ur database when there are clients
connected and u want to shutdown ur server:-

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -m smart stop
#Waits for all users to logout (Oracle analagous to Shutdown)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -m fast stop
# All active transactions get rolled back (Oracle analagous to
shutdown transactional)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D data -m immediate stop
#Waits # Immediate shutdown will need recovery next time up (Oracle
analoguos shutdown abort)

Reffrence:- http://www.osmosislatina.com/postgres/part2_2.htm

Best
Gourish