Date Time Arithmetic Speed

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Date Time Arithmetic Speed
Date: 2009-07-11 07:21:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I have an application that I am working on that may do some regular, cron generated time date conversions.

It would do:
DATE + TIME = TIMESTAMP.

It would do a LOT of thesebut spread out over every day to keep the load down and allow the server to do it's may job, dish out the results.

What are the tradeoffs in storage space, indexed query speed of the DATE and TIME formats, and speed of the math for the various for the combinations of DATE and TIME that would be possible to derive timestamps from?

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life

I agree with Bolivian President Evo Morales

# The right to life: "The right for no ecosystem to be eliminated by the irresponsible acts of human beings."

# The right of biosystems to regenerate themselves: "Development cannot be infinite. There's a limit on everything."

# The right to a clean life: "The right for Mother Earth to live without contamination, pollution. Fish and animals and trees have rights."

# The right to harmony and balance between everyone and everything: "We are all interdependent."

See the movie - 'Inconvenient Truth'
See the movie - 'Syriana'