Re: WAL shipping question

From: SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL shipping question
Date: 2007-12-05 19:39:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> This basically archives the data in the primary server
itself...right!!!
> But how can I set up continuous archiving from primary to a directory

> (WAL archive directory) on the stand-by server ?

>>The closest thing to a worked out example of how to do this I'm aware
of
>>is at http://archives.postgresql.org/sydpug/2006-10/msg00001.php

I tried this example
I have the primary and standby server setup. The primary server is archiving the wal segments in the standby server's directory. My question is that, as per that example in step 15 the standby server should gives messages in its log whenever some WAL activity is triggered in the master. I see the archive directory in standby server getting filled up, but there are no log messages generated. Whay? What am I missing here?

Also what does step 16 mean in that above example?
" To initiate a failover from the master to the slave, create the 'trigger file':
touch ~/pg82demo/trigger
This should immediately cause the slave to finish processing archived
segments, exit recovery mode, and come up ready for use "

Does the wal archives are applied to the standby server at this point and it has all the
contents(tables,indexes,tabledata etc) at this point?

Thanks
sharmila

Looking for last minute shopping deals?