Seeking experiences 'accessing' Microsoft Active Directory credentials from PostgreSQL, in conjunction with the sys admin / IT...

From: "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Pete Humphrey" <phumphrey(at)stoller(dot)com>
Subject: Seeking experiences 'accessing' Microsoft Active Directory credentials from PostgreSQL, in conjunction with the sys admin / IT...
Date: 2010-02-23 23:00:01
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

I have been doing some reading and working with the IT staff here to be
able to get (read-only) accessibility in PostgreSQL to the Active
Directory credentials for a Microsoft network - UID, fname, lname, etc
(not the PWID of course!)

I would appreciate any suggestions on the most workable and dynamic
approach...

My initial two thoughts were:

*	Have IT write a script to dump the AS credentials as, say, a
delimited text file to a (secure) location on a nightly basis (an often
enough frequency for my purposes) - and have PostgreSQL dynamically
link, with the right credentials, to that network location with their
text file/s (including 'recognising' when the file/s change)
*	A 'direct' read-only connection (without comprising the network
security), but of what sort? I have no experience in how AD stores and
shares its info, bit am happy to learn what is needed (IT has a lot of
knowledge of course, but don't use PostgreSQL)

Thanks in advance for any help...

Some new things to learn, always a good thing - hence what seems like a
possibly vague / broad request...

----------
Regards,

Greg Cocks

Licensed Geologist, WA#415

Data Management & GIS Analyst
gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com <blocked::mailto:gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
S. M. Stoller Corp
105 Technology Drive, Suite 190
Broomfield, CO 80021
www.stoller.com <blocked::http://www.stoller.com/>
303-546-4300
303-443-1408 fax
303-546-4422 direct
303-828-7576 cell

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: dipti shahDate: 2010-02-24 05:38:07