Re: Disadvantages to using "text" [ArcGIS]

From: "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
To: "Kasia Tuszynska" <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL List - Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disadvantages to using "text" [ArcGIS]
Date: 2008-05-13 17:26:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks for your reply...

I was working/experimenting with changing some of my VAR CHAR fields in
a PostgreSQL database to TEXT per this thread...

Via a direct database connection / ODBC link (or via an MS Access front
end and another ODBC), if these added "XY Location..." include a
TEXT-format field/s in the SELECT 'used' by ArcGIS (for symbology
differentiation, etc) then you get the "... no OID..." error and/or see
the fields listed as Binary Blob when you look at the attribute table in
ArcMap - so I had to change these specific fields back to a VAR CHAR
format...

Now that I know the workaround/constraint, no problem! :-)

(Interestingly, at least to me, the WMS server I set up out of
PostgreSQL using MapServer is happy with the TEXT format when accessed
through ArcGIS/ArcCatalog... and of course OpenLayers doesn't mind at
all...)

I heard about the PostgreSQL support in 9.3 - but have also heard that
it is 'read only' connection? Will it support PostGIS? Other
functionality such as seen in ZigGIS?

We don't have the $$$$ for the Interoperability Extension very
unfortunately - we have some CAD datasets for some of our engineering
projects I'd love to connect to dynamically if we did! :-)

Regards,
GREG COCKS
gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com