Re: psql: recall previous command?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: recall previous command?
Date: 2005-02-22 07:51:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> - when a multiple-line command is recalled, how should it be presented
> in the psql input buffer? Perhaps we could strip newlines from recalled
> command text, so that the recalled command would fit on a single line.

That fails on at least three cases: -- comments, newlines separating
parts of quoted literals (cf bizarre SQL spec requirement that adjacent
literals are merged only if separated by a newline), and newlines
embedded in quoted literals. You could possibly work around the first
two cases by doing nontrivial editing of the query string, but I see no
way around the last one.