Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context
Date: 2013-08-21 15:47:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:
>> Why does \set VERBOSITY 'terse' not work for you?

> Because it can't be controlled mid-function...that would suppress all
> context of errors as well as messages and so it's useless. Also psql
> directives for this purpose is a hack anyways -- what if I'm using a
> non-psql client?

> what I really want is:
> SET LOCAL log_console_verbosity = 'x'

There was a protocol design decision a long time ago that verbosity
ought to be controlled on the client side. If we start suppressing
fields server-side I think we're going to have problems. In particular,
I'm going to throw the "what if I'm not using psql" argument right back
at you: what's the reason for thinking that a different client/application
would have the identical desires about what fields to see? It seems
unlikely that a Java application, say, would want the server to be
selective about what information it sends.

I'm entirely prepared to believe that psql's VERBOSITY behavior could
use more options, though.