Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Travis Bauer" <trbauer(at)cs(dot)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error with tcp/ip networking
Date: 2000-08-31 05:33:35
Lists: pgsql-general

"Travis Bauer" <trbauer(at)cs(dot)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm getting:
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
> Is another postmaster already running on that port?
> If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

> when I use postmaster with the -i option. Yes, I already deleted the
> /tmp/?????.5432 files. When I run postmaster without -i, it works fine, but
> no tcp/ip access.

Well, the /tmp files are for non-TCP (Unix socket) communication, so
they're not relevant to this failure. The postmaster is complaining
because it can't get ownership of the 5432 TCP port number. I'm betting
that you have another postmaster process still hanging around, or else
(much less likely, but possible) some unrelated program that happens to
have grabbed onto the 5432 TCP port number.

Try using 'netstat' to see if 5432 is in use...