Re: BUG #2403: Date arithemtic using INTERVAL in UPDATE command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Harry E(dot) Clarke" <Harry(dot)Clarke(at)metrosky(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2403: Date arithemtic using INTERVAL in UPDATE command
Date: 2006-04-24 21:32:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-bugs

> That is definately a bug:
> test=> SELECT INTERVAL '100' YEAR;

We don't currently support that style of specifying interval constants,
and you shouldn't hold your breath expecting it to happen --- it will
require a whole bunch of abuse of the currently data-type-independent
processing of literal constants. I don't think anyone's even thought
about it since Tom Lockhart stopped working on that part of the code.
The fact that the syntax is accepted at all is just because he had
done some preliminary work on the grammar, but there's no infrastructure
behind the grammar for handling it.

In short, you need to calibrate your expectations as "feature addition
someday", not "bug fix".

> As a work-around until we fix it, please use:
> test=> SELECT INTERVAL '100 year';

This is the syntax we support.