Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu

From: "T(dot)J(dot) Adami" <adamitj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu
Date: 2008-01-31 15:54:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 31 jan, 12:24, dan(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)manitou-mail(dot)org ("Daniel Verite") wrote:
> T.J. Adami wrote:
>
> > I am also searching for a more 'professional' way to startup and
> > shutdown postgresql on ubuntu and debian systems.
>
> The source comes with a startup script that can be installed by
> running:
> # cp contrib/start-scripts/linux /etc/init.d/postgresql
> # update-rc.d postgresql defaults
> (update-rc.d is to debian-based systems what chkconfig is to
> Redhat-based systems).
>
> --
> Daniel
> PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage:http://www.manitou-mail.org

> http://archives.postgresql.org/

> Debian does it for me nicely on bootup. I wonder why you
> think you need to start it manually ?
>
> Karsten

I always compile my own version from sources for Python and Perl
support, and also because of newest versions that are update with a
lack of time (for reasonable test reasons).

> The source comes with a startup script that can be installed by
> running:
> # cp contrib/start-scripts/linux /etc/init.d/postgresql
> # update-rc.d postgresql defaults
> (update-rc.d is to debian-based systems what chkconfig is to
> Redhat-based systems).
>
> --
> Daniel

This adds shutdown scripts too? I need the server shutdown by 'pg_ctl
stop', not by linux killing the process (init 0 or shutdown commands
are very useful sometimes ;) ). I know this is a specific distro
question, however we started this thread yet...