Re: Proposal for documenting 8.2 VALUES syntax

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for documenting 8.2 VALUES syntax
Date: 2006-09-15 21:49:38
Lists: pgsql-docs

> ... One likely useful example, if not already covered, is

> select ... FROM ... WHERE op ANY (VALUES ( ... ))

> I tripped over it a couple of days ago and it seems useful and non
> obvious. ISTM it beats the current practice of

> op ANY(ARRAY[ ... ])

> which seems a bit of a kludge.

Unfortunately, we don't optimize the former nearly as well as the latter
:-(. I was thinking of showing an example of a multi-column IN:

where (firstname,lastname) in (values ('joe','blow'), ('anne','smith'), ...

but I don't think we want to encourage people to use it in cases where
a scalar list or ANY(ARRAY) will serve. Maybe next year ;-)