Re: Warp

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Eric Caloone <eric(dot)caloone(at)free(dot)fr>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Warp
Date: 2005-01-09 21:15:03
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Eric Caloone wrote:
>>> It runs on OS/2 Warp 4 too (Postgres V8 RC3).
>>
>> That is pretty hard to believe, since the code we distribute contains
>> neither shared library support nor spinlock support nor any of the
>> other port specific tweaks for OS/2. And someone else is currently
>> working on porting to OS/2. What's up with that?

> Someone posted an 8.0rc4 binary and it is mentioned in the current FAQ,
> so yea, I think it works.

Posting a binary doesn't mean that they didn't have to hack the source.

As of 8.0 the spinlock support should be driven by CPU type not OS type,
so as long as you build using a compiler that defines standard CPU
symbols it should work. In particular I'd expect a gcc build on OS/2 to
not have any issues about spinlocks.

Shared libraries are another story --- there is no way we'd build shared
libraries successfully without a Makefile.os2 and some additions to
Makefile.shlib. Given the importance of plpgsql I don't think we could
consider a build with --disable-shared to be a "supported platform".